A Guide to the Best Travel Cameras in 2020
We all want to save and share our wonderful memories from our trips. And the best way to capture these moments is with a travel camera. With technology advancing at lightning-fast speeds, you would probably be wondering why you would need a travel camera if you have one on your smartphone. No doubt nowadays these smartphones have cameras with great resolutions and other exciting features. However, a smartphone camera cannot beat a travel camera when it comes to taking beautiful pictures of the landscapes and so. There are big differences with any dslr camera, panasonic lumix, canons eos, mark ii, and other travel cameras. Features like touch screen, low lighting picture taking, image stabilization, and simply compact cameras can be game changers. If travel photography is your thing, maybe mirrorless cameras are a good option. If a camera for traveling is your main objective, a digital dslr camera might suffice.
A larger travel camera can pick up more light from the scene you want to capture in comparison to the pinhole cameras in smartphones when it comes to photographing in low light.
You need a fast lens and shutters when capturing moving objects like in a race or sports event, which your smartphone camera cannot.
You can never use a smartphone to capture images if you are going for snorkeling. Underwater photography can only be done with a dedicated travel camera.
Say you went for a wildlife tour and you want to take a close up picture (macro) or one from far away (telephoto). Travel cameras are always the best choice for such scenarios.
These are but only a few reasons why the camera market even though it is struggling at the moment has not vanished. In this article, we will look at five of the best travel cameras in 2020. But before we do the reviews there are a couple of things to consider first. Foremost are the advantages and disadvantages these cameras pose. Secondly are the factors that you need to take into account before you buy your travel camera.
Pros & Cons of travel cameras
When it comes to travel photography and choosing a camera for traveling, digital cameras can be categorized in a number of different ways based on their features, uses and so on. In this article, we will be reviewing some of the best action or travel cameras, which are a type of compact digital cameras. As such we will be discussing the travel photography advantages and disadvantages of action cameras.
The pros are:
They are designed to be lightweight and compact
You can carry them easily and mount them almost anywhere
Longer zoom capturing functionalities are best for capturing details
4K video and superior picture quality
You can even use them underwater to capture images or record videos
As for the drawbacks:
Since these are compact cameras they come with a load of accessories carrying which can be a bit troublesome sometimes
Most action cameras have a wide field of view without any option to change it
5 things to consider before buying a travel photography camera
Regardless if its a canon eos, panasonic lumix, mark ii, or any mirrorless cameras, It is very important that you do a bit of research and a lot of thinking before you buy a travel camera. Here are the five things you have to consider beforehand:
Your budget for the camera
This is the very first factor that you have to consider. Cameras come in various price ranges from a couple of hundred dollars to thousands. The problem with travel cameras is that they are prone to risks from damages to theft. While your insurance may cover that but you cannot deny the fact that the higher a camera is priced at the more is the insurance premium that goes with it. But most importantly, the camera is just a piece of the whole puzzle; you will also need to buy quite a few accessories including memory cards, lenses and more. So you need to plan your budget accordingly.
Size and shape of your camera
Travel cameras come in various shapes, sizes, and weights. This means you have a number of choices to choose from depending on what uses you want out of your camera. While the square and bulkier ones are best for chest-mounting, the bullet-shaped cams are the best add-ons to helmets and so. Moreover, as we saw earlier most of the action/travel cameras have a wide-angle FOV or field of view. Sometimes this angle can give you distorted pictures. This is why it is always recommended to choose a camera that lets you choose from wide, medium and narrow FOV.
Accessories that you will need to capture the best images
Your camera is incomplete without accessories. They are very important if you want to master your photographing skills as well as to capture the best images possible. These include everything from helmets and head mounts to chest bets and telescoping poles and more. In case you are into extreme sports you would need to opt for specific accessories. Also, make sure that the quality of these accessories matches that of the camera you have chosen. Travel photography camera accessories can make or break your vacation camera’s needs.
The battery life of the camera
Battery life is another important factor to consider. Most of the travel cameras we see nowadays offer up to three hours of continuous filming before the battery runs dry. Choose the camera with a battery life that suits your needs. In case you are filming high-resolution videos, your battery will exhaust much faster. This is why it is recommended to have a spare in case you run out of battery in the middle of filming. You can also consider buying a power bank for the make and model of your camera battery.
Extra features that come in handy
These days we can find tons of extra features in travel cameras. While some of them may come in handy from time to time, others might have no use at all. But this doesn’t mean you have to buy one without these additional features. It’s quite the opposite. Touch-screen interfaces, weather resistivity, built-in GPS, Wi-Fi, etc are some of the features we are talking about. These can really come in handy at times.
Keep in mind that the choice you will be making depends largely on the utility of the camera you will need.
We will now look at some of the best travel cameras in 2020. We will look at the following five cameras:
The Campark V30 action camera comes with a load of cool features including native 4K video quality and 20MP image quality. Moreover, this action camera is waterproof up to 10 ft that makes it great for capturing your underwater adventures. With the optional view angle, you can choose between wide, medium and narrow FOV as and when you need. It has two rechargeable 1350mAh batteries which help you to film for a long time. The camera comes with a mounting accessories kit that is compatible with GoPro.
- EIS+GYRO for anti-shaking functionality: With an advanced built-in Electronic Image Stabilization or EIS coupled with a 6-axis gyroscope, you can easily detect positions and changes in motion for a more steady and smooth video.
- The intuitive touch-screen and Wi-Fi control: The two-inch IPS touch-screen adds to the ease of navigating through your camera settings and accessing other features while the built-in Wi-Fi you can even control the camera from a distance through the app on your smartphone.
- Brilliant self-timer mode: You can use the self-timer mode to capture certain gestures and the perfect background as the camera will take the picture automatically after the time interval that you set it at.
- Burst mode for your fun: With the burst mode you can take several pictures (from 3 to 10) successively. You can use it to arrange the pictures taken in a sequence to study the trajectory of the moving object or simply have fun.
- Make time-lapse videos for the best effects: You can use the time-lapse feature to capture the best effects from your thrilling last trip. Want to take a breathtaking video of the sunrise or sunset? You can count on this feature to get you the exact video you were looking for.
The AKASO EK7000 as the name suggests is a sports action camera, meaning it is best for capturing sports events and more. The built-in Wi-Fi and HDMI functions can help you to edit and share your videos and images with your friends and family in an instant. It also acts as a camcorder. The 170 degrees wide-angle function is best for capturing images and recording videos over a wide FOV. It is best for underwater adventurers as the AKASO EK7000 can work up to 100 ft underwater with its waterproof coating.
- 4K/UHD video recording and 12MP image quality: This 4K Ultra HD action camera records videos at a speed of 25Fps and 30Fps depending on the video quality you want. You can also capture breathtaking shots with various modes like the 12MP Burst mode and more.
- Long battery life: This incredible action camera comes with two rechargeable 1050mAh batteries that are very useful if you are filming for a long time.
- Professional video quality for better prospects: With ultra HD video quality you get a professional quality video as well as images with 12MP burst mode at 30Fps.
- An action camera with multi-functionality: You can use multiple functions as you need them. These include loop recording and screen rotation. You can even mount the camera in your car to use as a dashcam.
- Wireless remote control for better photography: The wireless remote control is best for shooting from a distance. You can also use it to switch between various modes like from video to image, time-lapse to burst mode and so on.
This action camera comes with a whopping 4K UHD video recording and 20MP image capturing facilities that give your photos and videos a professional outlook. The Wi-Fi remote control adds to the ease of controlling the camera; all you need to do is download and install the LIVE DV app on your smartphone and connect it with the camera. It also comes with a smart EIS for stable and smooth images and videos. It is also waterproof like the previous cameras on our list as is so up to 40 meters underwater. Moreover, the two rechargeable 1200mAh batteries make gives the camera long battery life.
- High fidelity external microphone for your capturing your adrenaline-filled adventures: You can mount the 1.48M external microphone on your helmet or bike to capture the adrenaline-filled skiing or cycling adventures that you want to cherish as memories.
- An array of recording features for you to use: you can choose from a range of recording modes like time-lapse videos, a dash-cam mode for filming from your car, slow-motion videos to add that extra effect and more.
- 4GHz wrist remote control: This action camera has a secondary remote control option in the 2.4GHz wrist remote control if you don’t want to use the Wi-Fi.
- 20 accessories that are compatible with GoPro: This camera comes with more than 20 supportable accessories that are also compatible with your GoPro cameras.
- Burst photo mode for more fun: Bring in more fun to your photographing sessions with the burst photo mode where you can take up to 3 pictures successively.
BOIFUN 4K 20MP Anti-Shake Underwater Action Sport Wi-Fi Camera with External Microphone Waterproof 40 Meters Remote Control and 20 Accessories (4k 20mp)
The BOIFUN action camera comes with a stunning 4K video quality and 20MP image capturing facility to give you crystal clear and HD photos and videos. You can take this waterproof camera underwater up to 40 meters to capture your snorkeling moments on camera. The 2.5mm externally mountable microphone can capture clear sounds from all directions to give your video a nice audio input. The 2.4GHz wireless remote control is your best choice for recording or capturing your skiing and cycling moments. Moreover, this camera comes with over 20 supportable accessories for varied uses.
- Wi-Fi connectivity for instant sharing: Share your videos and images with your friends and family in an instant after connecting to the Wi-Fi. You can also download media to your phone without any data.
- Multiple recording modes for versatility: You can access from a number of recording modes like time-lapse, slow motion, dash cams and more to add versatility to your photography skills.
- Anti-shake EIS: The EIS feature helps you to track and capture smooth images of moving objects.
- Long battery life for longer filming sessions: Two rechargeable 1200mAh batteries dedicate themselves to a long-running camera output.
- Adjustable brightness for various situations: This camera uses the ISO technology in order to adjust the light sensitivity as and when you need to.
The REMALI CaptureCam is the last travel camera on our list. The CaptureCam can help you capture your most cherishing memories with its 4K UHD video recording and 12MP image capturing functionalities. If you are a seafloor adventurist then you can easily take it along with you in its IPX8 waterproof case up to 30 meters underwater. Check out its awesome features below.
- 170 degrees wide-angle FOV: Take either single or cluster shots with an automatic timer at a 170 degrees wide angle.
- Remote control and Wi-Fi for easy photography: You can take selfies and many more from over 30ft oh height with the 2.4GHz Remote control when you are not using the Wi-Fi connection.
- 3 batteries with a dual battery charger for more battery life: You will never run out of battery life with 3 batteries and a dual battery charger.
- 2 inches LCD screen for better viewing:
You can carry the 2 inches wide-screened CaptureCam in the carrying case that comes along with the whole kit.
- Accessories for your various needs: The Capture Cam can capture the moments in any situation with more than 21 mounts and accessories in its kit.
With all this information you are most probably ready to buy your first action camera. Whether you choose one of the five listed cameras or opt for another one is up to you. Keep in mind your needs and invest accordingly.